Skip to main content

EPIC - online books for children




As much as I love the feel of holding a book in my hands, I know there are many great websites and apps that provide children with reading opportunities.  In addition to the ebooks we have in our library (see http://librarybss.blogspot.com/p/ebooks.html for more information on ebooks), I am trying a new app called EPIC that allows children to read some great books from all different levels and genres, both fiction and nonfiction.  Each student has his or her own profile, and can select genres or topics of interest and EPIC will make recommendations to the student. There are also activities and quizzes available that correspond to the books.

This app is installed on the five iPads in the library, and while we are doing book checkout and station time, students will be able to explore EPIC.  I have set up accounts for all students in grades 1-4 so far.


This app is free for use in school, but parents who wish to use this app at home can sign up for a paid subscription.  The price is usually $7.99 per month, but they are running a special right now for $5.99.  There is a free 30 day trial for anyone interested.  Here is some information from their website: https://cdn.getepic.com/website/educator-resources/homeaccess-student-flyer_fall-2017.pdf






Epic is available on iOS or Android devices, or you can log in from the browser of your computer.  If you are interested or would like to try the trial, just let me know your email address and I'll send you more information.  I can be reached at kferguson@blessedsacrament.org.
I am just beginning to explore EPIC, and as I become more familiar with it I can share my experiences and how the students are enjoying it. 




Comments