Skip to main content

Emeril's There's a Chef in my Soup! by Emeril Lagasse

Emeril's There's a Chef in My Soup!What a great kids’ cookbook! I have to admit I have not made any of these recipes (yet!) but it’s very well done with 75 kid friendly recipes.  The first section discusses kitchen safety, the tools, the importance of cleaning up, and basic techniques (washing, chopping, sifting, grating, cracking eggs, coring apples, greasing a pan, kneading dough, melting chocolate, etc.).

There are chapters for breakfast items, salads, pizza and pasta, lunch items, dinner items, vegetables, and desserts. The names of the recipes are fun: “Go Nuts for Banana Bread,” “My-Oh-My Spaghetti Pie,” “I-Love-Gaaahlic Bread,” “Crispy Crunch Granola Munchies,” and “You’ll Go Ape for Chocolate Covered Bananas,” to name a few.  The table of contents and index are great tools in finding a just right recipe.

I would think most children under ten would require a good amount of adult help (he does recommend this), but there are plenty of steps kids can do themselves and most recipes should appeal to kids. I would think that “experienced” kid chefs over ten could prepare many of these recipes with minimal help.  But cooking is something fun parents and their kids can do together!

The drawings on the endpapers and throughout the book are silly and colorful, although I always prefer photographs when preparing a recipe so I can see the end result.  The tone of the book is funny and geared towards children. For those of you who have seen Emeril on TV, the recipes and instructions sound like they are coming right out of his mouth. Plenty of “Bam!” and “happy happy happy!” references.

An inviting, oversize book that should have kids asking to try out some new foods–always a plus!

Comments