Skip to main content

Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed and spreading peace


During his last year as pastor at BSS, Fr. Tim asked me if I had ever read the book Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed.  He said it was a fine example of how one person doing a kind deed change the world. I purchased the book in honor of Fr. Tim the year he was leaving, and to celebrate our year of peace at BSS,  I've been reading the book to some of my classes.

Mary is just an ordinary girl, but when she picks some blueberries and leaves them anonymously for her neighbor, the woman is delighted and uses the berries to bake muffins for five people. The five people that receive her berries are touched by her kindness, so they in turn do a kind need for five more people, and so on.  At the end of the book when I ask the students how many people's lives were changed by all these kind deeds, they guess a hundred, or a thousand.  When I show them the last page with the chart showing the number of people helped, they are amazed! They find it hard to believe that one little girl can change the world, but hopefully they realize that they have this power too!







Comments