Skip to main content

Fiction section has been GENREFIED!

For over a year now, I've been working on dividing the fiction section into genres.  While it was easy for me to find books in this section by author, students who were browsing generally did not care so much about who the author was.  They would ask: "Where's the fantasy books?" or "Do you have any mysteries?"

So I went through every book in the entire fiction and assigned it a genre, entered it in the online catalog, and labeled it accordingly.  Now when students ask where the sports books are, I can point them to an entire section.  I made sections for Realistic Fiction, Mysteries, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Sports Fiction, Action/Adventure/Survival, Animal Stories, Humor and Horror/Suspense.

I am hoping not only does it make it easier for them to browse, but maybe they will try new books from that genre (or maybe branch out and read some from another genre they don't usually read).  Maybe those kids who ALWAYS reach for a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book will see other books from the Humor section that look appealing to them.  A librarian can hope, can't she??
















Comments