Skip to main content

Gift a book to the BSS Library in honor of a student or another loved one!

Family members, friends, and BSS family members sometimes ask me if I have a wish list for the library.  I of course always have one a mile long but it's usually in my head.  So I started putting some of these wishes down in an Amazon wish list.

Maybe you would like to dedicate a book to a student to honor a special occasion, such as a birthday or Christmas.  Or maybe a grandparent would love to honor his or her grandchild or grandchildren with a special book with their name inside.  Or maybe you just want to make sure that the library is stocked with more great books and supplies!  You have the option to have the book sent to the school address on file or send it to yourself and have your child bring it to the Library.  Once the book is received and cataloged, I will add a special bookplate with the student's name on it. When you are checking out on Amazon, under gift options there is a spot to write a note and here is where you could specify what the bookplate should say. The student will have the privilege of checking the book out first, and they will be recognized in a special display in the library.

Click the image above to be sent to the BSS Library Wishlist










After my mother passed away in April, my sister-in-law gave me some money to purchase some books for the BSS Library in her memory.  As much as she loved flowers, I know with all my heart that my mom would have loved this idea. My mom read to me every day as a child, and fed my love of books by bringing me to the public library whenever I finished my stack of books.  She was an avid reader herself, and she was so pleased when I became a librarian. I chose books that reminded me of her, and it will make me smile when a student checks one of them out!







Everyone at BSS knew Ora McGuire, the kind and gentle lady who volunteered in the cafeteria and made folding origami peace cranes look like a cinch (if you've ever tried you know it was not!).  Over the years, in lieu of flowers, Ora would often donate a book to the library in memory of a friend or a loved one. I would send the family a card with a picture of the bookplate inside.  Ora would say that flowers would only last a short time, but a book could be read over and over.  So when our sweet Ora passed away, it only made sense that I would donate a book in her memory.  Ora was an educator, a librarian, and a storyteller, and believed in the power of books. 



According to her obituary, one of Ora's favorite quotes was "Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." I'm sure Ora would love the book I dedicated to her: Girls Think of Everyting: Stories of Ingenius Inventions by Women. She was one of the greatest women that I knew, and was always encouraging others that they could achieve anything they wanted to if they put their mind to it.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

Comments