Skip to main content

4th Graders practiced outlining skills

A great way to read for information is to take notes in the form of an outline.  I explained that an outline gives a snapshot of all the main ideas of a passage, and can be helpful when studying for a test.  I pointed out how the more general information appears to the left, and as the information becomes more specific it is indented to the right.

I like to have them try to outline "Mrs. Ferguson's Outfit," with the two main ideas being my Clothing and my Accessories.  They picked out the major pieces (top, bottom, shoes) and (bracelet, necklace, watch), and labeled each with descriptive words.  Then we had them outline the Blessed Sacrament School Elementary Uniform, with two supporting topics (Girl and Boy).  They did a great job!

The hard part is remembering to wear something easy to describe (and to accessorize!).



Comments